Sunday, June 8, 2008

Lullabies

As I was rocking Camden to sleep tonight, and singing the lullabies that I always sing, I found myself very bored with each song. I sang each one about half way through, before moving on to the next one, and then doing the same thing. For 16 months I have sang the same songs over and over to Camden. I guess he likes them, but maybe he is bored with them too? Here is what I sing, and usually in this order:

You are My Sunshine
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
A Child's Prayer
I am a Child of God
Out of the Woods
Blackbird
Baby Mine
Puff the Magic Dragon

I love all of these songs, but I need some new ideas. What do you sing to your little ones? I need some new ideas please!

2 comments:

The White House said...

Julie when i get stuck I just make up a song with my childrens names in it, using tunes I know. That is for emergencies though. We sing alot of the wiggles songs a favourite "rock a bye bear" (it's a good one to get them to quite down).

Lara Zierke said...

There was a song I learned at Girl's camp. You might not know it, but I love it and it's very beautiful and haunting. It's a three part round.

The First Verse:
Rose, rose, rose red
Will I ever see thee wed?
I will marry at thy will, Sire,
At thy will

The Second Verse:
High-Ho, Nobody home
No eat, no drink, no money have I none
Still I will go very merrily along
Along

The Third Verse:
Ah, poor bird
Take your flight
High Above the sorrows of this sad night

I'll probably have to sing it to you, but it's beautiful.

I also recommend "My Favorite Things" from Sound of Music and "Moon River" from Breakfast at Tiffany's.