Thursday, July 31, 2008

Idaho-isms

So, here are some unique things to Idaho that you may not know are different from other parts of the country. I grew up with all of these things, but forget about them until I go back for a visit.

1. Every other vehicle in Idaho is a pick-up truck

2. I had to go to 5 stores to find Soy Milk for Camden (he is lactose intolerant). I got laughed out of every store that didn't have it.

3. Country music plays in nearly every store/gas station.

4. No one has air conditioning. You don't need it. It gets cool enough at night that you just open your windows to cool the house off.


5. POTATOES!! I know that seems so obvious, but they are truly different up there and so much better than what you get in the grocery stores anywhere else. I miss me some potatoes! I also love the potato cellars everywhere.


















6. Wildflowers.















7. Farms everywhere!













8. Rivers and Lakes everywhere!













9. Wildlife Galore. We saw moose walking through our camp and saw elk on our canoe trip, but that is just a day in the life up there.
















10. Grain Silos
















11. Traffic jams are most often caused by a tractor on the highway.


12. Long dusk periods. It stays light until around 10:00 p.m. during the summer.

13. Fry sauce is a real sauce that is put on hamburgers and every restaurant knows what you are talking about when you ask for it.












14. Papa Kelsey's Italian Sub. YUMMY!!!!

15. The homes all have basements and the yards are generally a quarter acre or more. Boy do I miss that!

6 comments:

JANEAL said...

I have to disagree with #4. I think when we were growing up no one had air condidtioning but I think all the new houses pretty much have AC. I can't live without it!

It's funny to read this because unless you leave Idaho you wouldn't really notice.

Groff Family said...

You're probably right about the a/c, I just don't know anyone in new houses up there!

Danila said...

That is so funny! I haven't really been to Idaho, just drove through, but a lot of things on the list are very similar to growing up in Utah. We never had A/C and I totally remember the fry sauce (it's a regular side item at our home now). I loved reading this it made me miss my home town as well.

EaGLeSToNs said...

I love this post. We just spent a week in Utah where I grew up and it's kind of odd the things you notice when you aren't there all the time. Utah is a lot like Idaho, especially Delta, where I grew up. And yes, I did have fry sauce while I was out there. It was great!

And that is such great news about the baby. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

I love fry sauce! When I first moved here to good ole NV, people looked at me like I was crazy. I'm glad there is someone else out there who can appreciate the value of some good fry sauce!

Lara Zierke said...

I really liked this post. I love it here. I like #12--the long dusk periods. It's my favorite time of day.