Sunday, August 17, 2008

Good-bye, Mr. Shah


I received a phone call two days ago from my dear friend, Medhat, in England. He was the bearer of some bad news that our mutual friend, Mr. Shah, had passed away. I met Mr. Shah on the High Street in St. Albans, England, as a missionary in 2001. I was contacting people on the street as we did daily, and it was pouring rain, as usual. Mr. Shah was crossing the street to where we stood, and I stopped him to talk to him. He just kept walking, and I was instantly frustrated. Well, he stopped under an awning to get out of the rain and wanted to know what I wanted. So I spoke with him and told him about the message that we missionaries had to share. He invited us to come to his home to share this message.

Mr. Shah is from Pakistan and was Muslim. He told us that he'd had a dream about meeting us on the street the way we did, that's why he stopped to talk to us. We were instant friends. He was very generous and gave us lots of goodies to eat and drink. He was a funny man; sometimes I didn't get his humor, but I'll never forget him acting like a badger every time we came to teach him because one of my companion's names was Sister Badger. He was a very intelligent historian and had travelled many places.

Mr. Shah wanted to get baptized, but the danger was to severe for him because he was very incorporated into the Muslim world. He always wanted to move to the U.S. and told us that he would be baptized when he moved here. His plans were set in motion to move here when 9/11 happened, and he was never able to secure a visa due to his nationality. Mr. Shah loved to be so silly with us and would often play a ukulele to some made up tune. When I last visited England with Aaron, we visited Mr. Shah and he treated us to lunch. He also gave me a beautiful Muslim garb outfit.

I guess that Mr. Shah died while in Pakistan visiting family last month. He fell and hit his head and suffered from a brain aneurysm. I can't believe that I wasn't a better friend to know this sooner. I guess I just take for granted that my friends will always be around, and this is definitely a testament that they won't be.

So, good-bye, Mr. Shah! You will be missed and will always have a place in the sisters' hearts!

4 comments:

Dev. said...

Hey really a nice blog dear.. i like your work... & nice post.

hye if you need a new domain address for your blog like name.youngistaan.org then you can contact with me its just free for bloggers.. enjoy

http://blog.youngistaan.org

Danila said...

So often we take for granted our religious freedoms here in the States. Mr. Shah sounded like such an amazing man. There's no doubt that he is enjoying the gospel now in a place far better than here.

Miranda said...

I am sorry to hear about your friend. He sounded like a great man. I am sure some pretty amazing things are happening for him in heaven! How neat that you laid that foundation. Really neat story!

Hays Family said...

Julie, I am sorry to hear about Shaw. Dad and I enjoyed our visit and dinner with him while we were there in St. Albans.

It's hard to keep track of everyone you know so don't feel so badly you hadn't heard about his death earlier. You are a wonderful caring person and show your concern to all you know.