Thursday, August 28, 2008

Job search and corporate lay-offs

Aaron has begun searching for a change of employment. We don't know how quickly that will happen, but it's something that we have talked about for a long time. The hours he has to work in public accounting are brutal, and aren't really conducive to a home/family life. He has just been trying to put in his dues to be qualified enough to change companies. So, he is now starting to look.

However, Deloitte, the company he works for, offers an International work abroad program which we are still very interested in. So, if he does stay with Deloitte, we will likely be moving abroad within the next six months or so. Whether that's before or after the baby comes we have yet to decide.

If he doesn't stay with Deloitte, we will more than likely be leaving the Reno area. We aren't particularly attached to this city since we don't have any family here, plus we would really like to go somewhere warmer! So, I posted Aaron's resume on Monster last week, and we have had recruiters up the wazoo calling!

Aaron was a little nervous to change jobs in this economy, but on Monday, several of his co-workers got the pink slip. A LOT of them did. These lay-offs mostly took place in the Las Vegas, L.A., and Orange County offices, but that definitely affects what happens here. Remember how he was supposed to get a bunch of reinforcements from the OC office for the big IGT audit this fall so that he doesn't have to work 18 hour days again? Well, with the lay-offs, they likely won't have the staff for that anymore. It was such a big lay-off that even partners were given the pink slip. Partners! Could you imagine making it all the way to partner and then getting laid-off? I couldn't.

So, naturally everyone at his work is a little concerned about their job security. And then the other downside is that even if their job is secure, the hours just instantly became more horrendous than they were since the same amount of work exists, but there are so fewer people to do it.

Hence the job search has been propelled full throttle. We imagine a change happening either around December, or if not then, then after the baby is born.

I have to admit that I found a really attractive job online for Aaron with the Department of Energy in Idaho Falls. I submitted his resume and application, and while we haven't heard from them just yet, we are able to track the application status online. Right now it states that he is qualified and being referred for further recommendation. This job has a very, very attractive salary, so while we would hate the cold up there, we could suck it up for a couple of years to earn some really great money. Plus that's where I grew up so I have siblings and friends up there.

As for right now, we'll see what happens. We don't want anyone to get too excited or too disappointed right now. Let me emphasize that we are just looking, but that we hope it leads us to something really good because Aaron's current job just keeps him out of the home way too much.

6 comments:

The White House said...

Good luck. Just remeber good things come to those who wait ( I thingk the waiting time should be over soon). So glad to hear that you can enjoy eating again. Hurray for feeling better and time to enjoy the pregnancy more

Kelly said...

Oh, Julie! Good luck with Aaron's job search. I'm sure you will find something great. We'll be praying for you guys!

Lara Zierke said...

We are keeping our fingers crossed. We don't necessarily favor one job opportunity over the next(yeah right!) so I hope Aaron gets whatever is best for the family (as long as it is in Idaho). Wanna send me a copy of Aaron's resume and I can take it to the finance department where I work just for fun??

Pink slips suck. Glad you guys are ahead of the curve.

Melissa said...

Changing jobs is scary, but can be for the best. Good luck with the hunt-that IF job would be cool. The last time I was there I actually thought I could maybe move back....I guess being away for 12 years has dimmed my memory of all the cold and wind. Being around family is the best though. Can't wait to hear more!

Cherie Nelson said...

Hey Julie -

I will try to have my dad put in a good word for Aaron!

Frederick Family said...

Remember to look in Salt Lake, I know how much love there is for the cold and the utah mormons. ha ha.
Just keep it in mind.