Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Take it easy... Doctor's Orders

I have been having contractions since I was 18 weeks along. I mentioned this to my doc at my 20 week appointment, and he checked things out and said that the pregnancy seemed fine. However, if I were to ever get four contractions in an hour for two hours straight, then I was supposed to go to labor and delivery. Well, over the last few weeks, the contractions have been coming all day long. Plus I have a lot of pelvic pressure too. But I have never bothered going into labor and delivery because I would be there every day!

So I had my regular prenatal appointment yesterday and I told all of this too him. He did a cervical exam and at first thought he felt the baby. I was whisked away to an ultrasound room, and lucky for us, he was not feeling the baby. My cervix is still 5 centimeters, which is a good thing. But he has told me that this is a very critical period and he wants me to not do any activity that triggers contractions. I gave a little laugh because that's practically everything! He said that once I get to 28-29 weeks, he may lighten up on that order but for now, that's what it is. He also wants to see me in 2 weeks instead of 4 to check my cervix again to make sure it isn't thinning. If there is any change, it will probably be full on bed rest.

So, there you have it! Aaron's been very helpful and he went grocery shopping for me last night. I just wish I could explain things to Camden and my dog, because neither of them are understanding why I am not taking them outside to play and that kind of thing. Oh well, we will get through it!

11 comments:

W.W. said...

Easier said than done with a toddler, right? Let the TV become his friend for a while. Don't know what to tell you about the dog. Can you arrange a playdate?:-)

jamirodana said...

Oh boy! That is hard. I can't imagine having to sit for too long/ or lie down.
I hope everything goes well and these next 8 weeks fly by for you my dear. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie,

Well I can completely understand bed rest. UGH! Well, it's not too bad when people around you understand. Kids are the hardest though, cuz they don't know any different than you being super-mom. :) You are at 5cm??? This seems too much! What's going on?? Have your hubby get you some sudoku puzzle books and you'll be set. Addicted...but set. ;) love ya, ani

Groff Family said...

Thanks for all the well wishes! I am sure that everything will be fine. Just to clarify, I am not dilated at all. The 5 cm is how long the cervix is. Prior to labor, the cervix shortens and thins so that it can open. So 5 cm long is actually a really good sign. The doc. said that if it shortens at all by the time I see him in 2 weeks, then he will have some concerns. But I think the cervix doesn't usually dilate until it has shortened to about 2.5 cm, so I am sitting pretty good as far as that goes, it's just the darn contractions!

Anonymous said...

Julie, I'm so sorry. Being on bed rest with a 2 year would be nearly impossible. Let me know if I can help!

Jill said...

I'm glad that things are o.k. I can't wait to see your beautiful baby!

EaGLeSToNs said...

It's good to hear that everything is ok, but if you need any help at all please call me. Camden is definitely welcome to come to the park with us.

Miranda said...

So did you at least get permission to go to the Twilight premiere?J/K I am so sorry to hear that you have to be really careful I can't imagine how hard that must be with a toddler. Good thing you have a great hubby to take of you!

Melissa said...

Sorry to hear about bed rest-maybe you can tell Camden it's a blanket fort and he can play there. Puzzles really kept Aidan's attention at that age and at almost 2, that's hard to do. I'll be keeping you in my prayers. :)

Carlie said...

Oh you sweet thing! I feel your pain! I've had to stay down (not on bedrest for pregnancy) with a two year old- darn near impossible. But as long as your hubby is there, you'll be okay. Sounds like you have good friends who are eager to help out too- that's good, take advantage- one day, you'll be able to repay them. Good luck! I'll be thinking about you!

Anonymous said...

I don't have an email for you, and you have lots going on it sounds like, but... when you have a minute can you update the Belcher Legacy page. Right now david has access to update it from djbelcherblog or something like that :) But can you change it to Belcherbrigade.blogspot.com to have access. then I can add things for our family. THANKS!

Heather Belcher - hope all in going well for you I can't imagine being on best rest with a 2 year old since I have one.