Saturday, July 11, 2009

Beware the treadmill

I have hesitated posting this because I know that I am opening myself up to all sorts of criticism. So let me just preface this post by saying that I know this is my fault, that I should never have let Camden near the treadmill, and that I haven't slept much since this happened. There's nothing that anyone can say that can make me feel more upset or ashamed by this.

Now that that's out of the way, here's the story. Marley was running on the treadmill as she usually does. Camden thought it was funny to throw his cup on the treadmill and watch it roll of the back. I was a few feet away watching this happen, and telling him not to do it and to not mess around with the treadmill. I turned my head away and just a few seconds later we heard the kind of shrieking where you know something is seriously wrong. Camden's hand was caught in the belt. Aaron and I both went running over. I yanked out the emergency key to stop the belt as Aaron helped Camden get his hand out. The pictures are the aftermath, taken three days after the injuries occurred. It only took about three seconds of his hand being trapped to cause this much damage.

Camden has suffered third degree burns on his hand. The back of his hand is a second degree burn, but his finger is a third degree burn. So we are now having to see a hand specialist on Tuesday to see what kind of treatment that he will need to heal correctly. It is not abnormal for plastic surgery with skin grafts to take place with this type of injury, so we will find out on Tuesday if that is in Camden's future. In the meantime we have to just keep dressing the wound daily, and giving him antibiotics to stave off infection as well as Motrin to manage pain.

So, please learn from our mistakes and never go through this yourselves.


Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh Jules, I am so sorry!! Don't beat yourself up too much. Aidan actually stuck his hand in ours one day while Nate was running. He was lucky that his burn wasn't too bad, but it still sucks. I hope everything heals well. :)

Hays Family said...

Accidents happen and you can't watch your children every second. Forgive yourself and know that you are a wonderful mother and your children are lucky to have you because you are so caring and attentive. I'm so sorry this happened and hope Camden heals well. It's amazing how resilient children are. Love you.

Danila said...

Oh poor Camden! That looks like it hurt terribly. I know it's easy as a mom to blame yourself, we've had a few mishaps in our home that I have felt horrible about, but we are all human and you can't beat yourself up for it, you are the most caring and loving parents I know and sometimes things just happen. We miss you guys, wish we were there to help out.

Nicole said...

Julie! If anyone says anything to you that makes you feel bad they obviously don't have kids, or are just plain meanies! You are a fantastic mom, and things like this happen, just like you said it only took a couple seconds. I hope your appointments goes well and Camden can make a full recovery. I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie,

Just checking in on you and Cam. How are things going? I've been lifting your family up, knowing that our God has this!

Love you,
Ani

W.W. said...

I was going to say what your mom said. Accidents DO happen. They happen to moms AND dads. We've both have had stuff happen on our watch that we felt horrible about. Thankfully our kids are alive and they survive our less than watchful eyes at times. Luckily he is young and will not remember this TOO much (hopefully.) We will pray for all of you!

Kate said...

OH poor, poor Groff family!! I am so sorry to hear about your little guy! It just sickens me to hear that this happened on the treadmill. I have been running on one with my kids nearby for over 7 years. This could happen to anyone!
I just wanted to let you know that I'm so sorry and I'll be thinking of you guys and you'll be in my prayers.
-Kate Jefferies