Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Skin Graft

The director of the burn center saw Camden yesterday and has decided to do a skin graft. We've been to the burn center a few times now, but were always seen by resident doctors. The director, Dr. Caruso, made a point to see us on Monday since Camden had that arterial bleed on Sunday. He made no bones about not being happy that Camden had not yet been recommended to have the graft. He asked to know which of the residents had been treating him. He said he would have done the graft at 7-10 days, and that was day 14. He brought in another doctor on the floor for a second opinion, and he also concurred. His name is Dr. Foster and he will be performing the surgery. So we are now scheduled to have the graft done this Friday at the Phoenix Burn Center. Camden will stay there for one week inpatient. They will take the donor skin from his groin area.

I am trying to prepare myself for this as being there for Camden will be draining enough, but we are faced with the challenge of being in a different city from home and also having a little baby who needs me since I am still nursing her. However, babies are not allowed on the burn floor, so I can't be there for both children at the same time. Aaron has to be in Tucson to work, so my mom will likely come out to help take care of the baby so that I can stay with Camden. Aaron will be able to be there on Friday and throughout the weekend, but after that he has to be back to work. No fun.

7 comments:

FitzSimmons Times said...

Oh Julie - I am so sorry that you have to go through that with your little guy! So stressful. When I read your post about getting sick after the fact when you looked around it made me think of working as a nurse. That happens to me a lot too - I wonder how did I handle that so well while it was happening? Many prayers of thanks usually happen after that! I will be praying for you and your little boy and the doctors that will work on him. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Julie, I'm soooo sorry. I got teary eyed reading your post. You are in such a hard position with both children. Thank goodness your mom is able to help. We will pray for little Camden. Poor guy, at least he is seeing someone who is doing something!

Lara Zierke said...

So sad. I wish I was still on maternity leave so I could come down and help. And I am so sorry that Camden has surgery on your birthday. It probably won't be your best birthday. Although the gift of a healthy son with a healthy hand is a good gift, right? Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Amy Dick said...

Julie, so sorry this is happening to Camden. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Freeman Family said...

I wish you were here so we could help! Thanks heavens for moms!! We love you and are thinking of you all the time!! Get better real soon Camden!!

Nate and Kara said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Camden especially! We hope that all goes well on Friday- we're so glad that your mother can make it down.

Miranda said...

SO I have been a blog slacker and haven't been on for awhile and can't believe all that has been going on in your little world. AAAAH! I am so sorry! I sure hope everything goes well. Poor little man!