We got to the burn center yesterday around 2:20. Camden was taken right back and didn't have to wait at all. I stayed out in the waiting area with Audrey. It seemed like it had been awhile when suddenly a little girl was brought back on a stretcher who came in by ambulance. Her feet were bandaged up. About two minutes later another little boy was brought in on a stretcher who had also come in by ambulance. His feet and legs were wrapped up. I felt very sorry for those children, but my real hope was that Camden had already been seen so that we could go and not have to wait behind these two more obviously serious cases.
A few minutes later a man with his two children came in. They were apparently the family to the little boy who was brought back. The little boy was 3, and the two other kids were 14 and 9. The nine year old was just crying so hard. The nurses took the dad back but wouldn't allow the kids back, so I told their dad that I would sit with them. They told me that their little brother had sat in a little shallow kiddie pool that they didn't realize had been heated by the Phoenix sun. It scalded him. The nine year old was so upset because she was the one who lifted him in there and she felt like it was her fault because she didn't check the water first to know that it was hot.
We found out later that the other little girl was another case of stepping on the hot pavement without shoes on. The things that can only happen in this climate! I never would have thought...
But I digress. Aaron came out with Camden and told me that they did end up pushed behind these two others and apparently there was a helicopter on its way with another major trauma. We settled in to be there for awhile. Aaron said that Camden had been seen by nurses, OT, and some residents before all of this happened. All of them thought that Cam's graft looked a little worse and that his donor site was infected. However, they wanted the attending physician to look at that to make the call. That's all we were waiting on when all of the other trauma came in. Snap!
Finally it was our turn and Camden went back. About ten minutes later he came back out and the attending physician said he didn't think it was an infection, but just some scar tissue forming. I still don't know why it's hot and red, but he's the professional, so there you have it. He said as far as the graft goes, it's very tough to tell right now and that we will continue to wait until this Friday, allowing it more time to try to take and revascularize. So all in all, we spent close to five hours driving round trip, and about three hours at the Burn Center to find out that he is okay. Well, at least there is peace of mind! FYI, that amount of time is pretty typical for every one of our trips there.
Let's hope that time is on our side and let's all pray that this graft will revascularize!
11 years ago
4 comments:
Julie you are AMAZING!! I would have a nervous break down!! I am so glad there is no infection!! Thanks for keeping us up to date!!
Have a great day!
We're always praying for the graft and complete healing of both sites. I can't believe all the ways kids get burned there - hot pavement and kiddie pools! Us Idaho girls would never even think of anything like that! I guess now you know what to be on the lookout for.
You are seriously handling this so well, I would be a wreck! I am so sorry! I pray all is well and that he will continue to heal and that the graft will take. What an eye opening experience it is hearing about the cases in the burn center, I am to Idaho and would have made all those mistakes!
I can't believe how many different ways kids can get burned, it's truly amazing. I am so glad to hear that Camden does not have an infections. You have all been in our prayers and I hope this will all be behind you real soon.
Post a Comment