Pregnancy and Infant loss is a heartbreaking tragedy for anyone who has gone through it. This past year, three of my friends, Carlie McClellan, Ani Karg, and Kate Jefferies have had stillborn babies. About three years ago my friend Christy's baby died just hours after birth.
Many more of my friends and family members have also suffered the heartbreak of miscarriage. I myself have had four.
Today is National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day. In 2006 the House of Representatives passed House Resolution #222 designating today as such, and in 2007 President George W. Bush wrote this letter to all those who observe October 15th.
I want to invite everyone who reads this to light a candle today to honor all of those babies who have passed on too early. I invite those who have been so fortunate to not know this pain to hug someone who has, and to recognize their grief. And to be sensitive and loving. To please remember that the amount of our grief should not be measured or validated by how many weeks gestation the baby was. A soul at conception, in love at the moment the plus sign showed up on that pregnancy stick, grief stricken for what will never be.
I will be lighting many candles today. Four for mine, and many more for all of my friends and family out there who have also suffered this loss. I love you all and you are all in my thoughts and prayers today. Perhaps nothing says it better than this video:
11 years ago
3 comments:
I'm glad you wrote this post. I have thought about lost babies and their families all day and I will say a special prayer for them tonight.
Oh of course I don't read this until the 19th! That is my luck for ya! Thanks for the post and prayers Julie! You are a sweetheart and you deserve all the best! I am so glad you have the two adorable kids and am so sorry for your losses- you are so strong and faithful!
Thanks for Lighting a candle for our little Joshua :D
Miss you guys!
We were just in Mesa a few weeks ago... Abby and I are going to be back down there for Thanksgiving.
Post a Comment