Monday, December 13, 2010

The price of a shower

This morning was a typical morning. You know those babies that are so easy? You know, the kind that you feed and then you put in a swing, or a bouncy seat, or whatever and they are happy? I don't know any of those babies either...none of mine have ever been that way. I love my babies, but they have all demanded a lot of attention and holding, and Patrick is no exception. So I generally feed him in the morning, set him down and listen to him scream while I use my two hands to get the other two breakfast and dressed. Then I return to the baby to calm him down, feed again, try to pump, etc. It's a balancing act and usually it is about 11:oo a.m. before my hands are free enough to get myself something to eat or get a shower.

This was the case this morning. At around 10:45 I realized that Patrick had slumped over my forearm in a blissful slumber. I told the kids to sit quietly and watch "Dora" while I put Patrick to sleep upstairs. I was able to peacefully transfer him to his bed. Then I heard something wonderful....silence. Audrey and Camden were getting along and watching tv. So I decided to jump in the shower. Don't worry, I would make it quick. So a quick few minutes later, I was clean. I heard it again....that peaceful silence. So I decided to not stop at just a shower like most mornings and did my hair and make-up as well and got dressed too!

After all was done, it had been about 25 minutes. It was still quiet and I was feeling pretty good about myself. On the way downstairs I said to myself that if anything was amiss downstairs that I would not get upset because afterall, I left them unsupervised for 25 minutes so anything wrong would be my fault at this point.

I got downstairs just in time to watch from 10 feet away as Audrey poured the entire contents of Raisin Bran on the floor. As I was cleaning up this mess I notice some sort of grease on Audrey's face and in her hair. It looked like Vaseline or something. I couldn't figure it out.

After the cereal mess was cleaned up, I noticed that the dishwasher was open and many dirty dishes had been pulled out and were on the floor. As I was cleaning this up, I discover a large serving spoon filled with some mysterious white greasy substance. Ah ha, this is the grease culprit, but what was it? It looked like Crisco. I start asking Camden some questions about this. He promptly told me, "Audrey did it. Everything that is bad, Audrey does."

After asking a few more questions Cam tells me that Audrey scooped it out of a jar. Hmmmm, what jar? As I am putting the dirty dishes back in the dishwasher I find the butter dish was a very small remaing amount of mangled butter left on it on the very bottom of the dishwasher, by the heating element. So there was the source of the white grease. I then found butter smeared on all of the cupboards and floor.

So after all the clean up I pondered if all this was worth the shower. And the verdict is yes, absolutely it was! Now what will breakfast cost me?

6 comments:

Alex said...

I love your posts! x

Frederick Family said...

Too funny. You have such mischievous little elves.

Brooke said...

I can only imagine how frustrating this would be but at least your kids make for great stories :)

Marisa Hodges said...

Oh, man! gotta love those moments of motherhood!

Marci said...

Oh,the adventures of Motherhood! Love it!

Lara Zierke said...

I think you need to write an essay book. Like Erma Bombeck. You have all the fuel for it with those little kids.