Sunday, July 3, 2011

Easter Part 2

I had the amazing opportunity to teach teach the Easter lesson to the Young Women. I loved this because there isn't a designated lesson from the manual to teach. I wanted to take the opportunity to really teach about Christ and his sacrifice and what it means for each of the Young Women, and specifically about that being the central reason for the Young Women and Personal Progress program. So I decided to do this as my 10 hour project for Faith.

My lesson depicted the last week of Christ's life. What I loved so much about doing this is that I learned so much. My whole heart and soul was poured into this lesson for the couple of weeks leading up to Easter, and it was wonderful. I wasn't thinking about Easter candy for the kids and the Easter bunny, I was learning about the Saviour. It was really awesome for me, and just where my focus should have been. I will definitely continue to have this focus every year from now on.

I set up a display table as shown in the pictures. Each of those items were things that I talked about in my lesson. I could have done an entire lesson on the significance of the palm leaf alone, it was just so neat to learn about. I brought food that would be similar to what was eaten in Jerusalem at that time. Unleavened bread, dates, and nuts. The unleavened bread, of course, has great significance. I also brought grape juice which symbolized the wine from the Last Supper. I passed the dish around and all of the girls got to try some.

Aaron helped me make the crown of thorns. I think being able to visualize the thorns, mallet, and spikes really made an impact on the girls. My goal was to touch each of the five senses during this lesson, in hopes that they would really learn and also remember these things.

I had a bowl with a towel to represent Christ washing his disciples feet. I also had a little dish of spices as that was used to prepare His body after He was crucified. The white sheets represented the burial clothing. There was also a little satchel with 30 coins, representing the 3o pieces of silver.

I printed a little booklet that was basically my entire lesson in summary. It summarized the last 7 days of Christ's life, telling what happened on each of those days. My hope is that each year the girls will refer to that and read it during the week leading up to Easter. I know I will.

The most time consuming part of everything, was a DVD that I made. I used it as part of my lesson, and then I made a copy for each of the girls as well. Here is a link to it on YouTube. It is scenes from "The Lamb of God" that I edited to go with the song, "Oh Lord, my Redeemer."

It was a LOT of work, and I am sure that I spent well over 10 hours. But I learned so much and felt so close to the Lord during this time and preparation. It was so worth it just for me, and I would do it over again 1,000 times.










Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Alex said...

Wish I'd been in your lesson. Your YW are lucky to have a great teacher :-) And I LOVE that you spelt Saviour with the u! ;-) Hehe! xxx

Groff Family said...

Thanks Alex! I spell lots of things with the British spelling. It's kind of weird how 18 months there has me so confused when it comes to spelling. You would think that 33 years here would count for something! :)

Marci said...

I wish that I could have been there for your lesson! I would like a copy of your handout if you have one!

Lara Zierke said...

I agree with Alex - I wish I were there and I wish I had your handouts. And I also secretly giggled with Savior with a "u."

Leslie said...

That lesson looked amazing, Julie. I love going the extra mile to make Easter meaningful each year (although more often than not I run out of time!). You're such a great leader : )