Sunday, January 8, 2012

A new year

I have made some resolutions this year.  I don't normally make resolutions because I feel like if you have something that needs to be done or changed in your life, you should just do it then and not put it off or title it or whatever.  But this year I am taking a stab at it.  And I've decided to make them public so that people can hound me on stuff to see how I am doing. So, here they are.

1. Do my daily's.  These are things that I need to do each day to feel good in life. They help me combat depression and stay grounded. They span 5 categories which are spiritual, emotional, physical, relational, and educational.  Spiritual is a no brainer though I still lack in doing it: pray/meditate and read scriptures. Emotional refers to connecting.  This could be making sure to talk to a friend or family member, something like that.  Physical is eating right, getting enough sleep, and, gasp, excercising (I abhor exercise!). Relational is putting some sort of extra effort into my relationship with my husband each day.  Educational is learning something new each day, even if it is only why my baby's diaper is a certain color. :)

2. Eliminate the word "later" from my vocabulary.  I will not do the dishes "later."  I will not walk past that toy on the floor to pick it up "later."  I will not get together with that person that I want to get to know "later." I will do these things now! I need to get a handle on my life and procastination absolutely does not help.

3. Write letters to my kids.  This is for the important stuff.  My sister-in-law Robin did this when she was battling Leukemia.  Of course she knew that she may not be around for all of her daughter's big events, so she made sure to write a letter for each one.  Hailey received one a couple of weeks ago at her baptism.  There are more for when she turns 16, when she gets married, etc.  But life can not always be planned out like this, and we have had some tragic reminders of that lately.  So I want to do that now, just in case.  So I will be busy writing letters for the next little while. :)

4. Get a will.

5. 72 hour kits

6. Get my photos into albums.

7. Write my prayers.  I know this sounds strange, but I heard a friend say that she did this and it helped her spirituality tremendously.  It keeps your mind from running.  I am looking forward to this.

8. Organize my digital photos.

9. Make some digital photo albums for relatives who live far away (I guess that's everyone!)

10. Make 5 new friends and host more gatherings.

11. Blog once a week. (Hey, I can cross that one off for this week, right! :) )

So that's it!  Feel free to check in on me and tell me to get my hiney in gear!

4 comments:

Kris said...

Julie...This is Kristen Johns Gourley. I followed your link from facebook. I loved your goals for this year. Lots of good ideas. Your Tender Mercy brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing! My blog is private...but if you want an invite...let me know! Happy New Year to you!

Lara Zierke said...

That is a lot of stuff...and all of it really good. I need to do a lot of this stuff too. In fact, Justin and I were talking about a will yesterday. I think the letter idea is awesome. Even if unexpected tragedies never happen and you live until you are 105, your kids will still enjoy reading them.

Frederick Family said...

Wow you are ambitious!! I am going to check with you and see how your goals are coming throughout the year.

Brooke said...

I need to do the same things! I admire you so much. YOU are one of those people I wish I had reached out to more and spent more time with instead of just putting it off for another day..but we did have some fun get togethers and I hope we can in the future too :) Good luck with these!