Thursday, February 9, 2012

Letter to my parents

Dear Mom and Dad,

I am so sorry for every time I said I hated the meal you made before I ever even tasted it.  I am sorry for never appreciating when the house was clean (which was always).  I am sorry for every time I said I didn't have to go to the bathroom before leaving on an errand only to discover that I did in fact have to go...but only once we were in the very back of a store that, of course, wouldn't let us use the bathroom.

I deeply regret every time you thought you had been blessed with a long moment of peace, only to discover that quiet moment meant I was making a giant mess that would take twice as long to clean up as the actual moment of peace earned.  I'm very sorry for the trouble that I gave you at church when I wouldn't be still and quiet, and especially because Mom was doing it on her own most of the time while Dad was up at the stand glaring at us all. :)   I'm sorry for every time that I said I hate you.

Thanks for staying up in the night with me as a baby.  Thanks for teaching me the simple pleasures of having a picnic in our own backyard. Thank you for giving up your career to be my mom. Thanks for teaching me about projectiles like throwing shoes at us instead of beating us.  Somehow in my adulthood I now understand that this was the kinder option, and hopefully my kids will understand that someday too.

Thanks for allowing us the many pets that we always had: dogs, cats, parakeets, rabbits, gerbils, fish, guinea pigs, mice (although I'm not sure that I've ever recovered from the trauma of Brad shooting my pet mouse in the basement).  They're stinky and messy, but they offer so much love and comfort to little children.

I'm sorry for any tantrums, potty accidents, missing a ride to school, destroying the house, hitting my siblings, repeating your cuss words, and any other pain in the rear behaviors.  I'm sorry I wasn't an angel.  Thank you for your sacrifices and teaching me how to handle parenthood with grace....at least in front of anyone watching!  Let's hope my kids survive their childhood as well as I survived mine.

4 comments:

Lara Zierke said...

Awww. And remember you were the bargain baby. Maybe mom didn't realize she was on the wrong end of the bargain - totally kidding! I seriously don't know how mom always kept such a tidy house. She was such a good mom. So glad I picked her in heaven (as I have always said).

Melissa said...

Love it!

Brooke said...

I've had many of the same thoughts! It's too bad that it takes being in their shoes to fully appreciate all they do.

Hays Family said...

Yeah Brook, Like your comment. and Lara's too of course. Julie I am glad my prayers were answered when I prayed you would have children just like you. Gotta love them and all that goes with it.