Sunday, December 2, 2012

Camden goes to Kindergarten

1st day of Kindergarten
I love how the backpack is just as big as he is!
I can't believe that my oldest is in Kindergarten!  Where did the time go?  Seriously, I thought I was still rocking him to sleep in our little house in Reno.  Camden started Kindergarten in July.  He has a great teacher and loves school....once he gets there.

He is as smart as a whip and is already reading and doing math.  One day he came home from school very upset because the teacher had him skip "centers."  That's where the students go to different areas to learn math, reading, etc.  Instead she had him do something else that was more on his level and then he earned a treasure box prize for it.  He just couldn't see that because he is academically ahead that his teacher wanted to challenge him with something different and reward him too.  So with a prize in hand he cried on the way home because he didn't get to do "centers."  I guess I'm glad for these kinds of problems. :)

Camden is also very competitive and loves to be the first one for everything from getting into the car first, reaching the front door first, getting up the stairs first...well, you get the idea.  It's very important to him.  He also really loves order and responsibility and finds it difficult when other children (namely his siblings) don't do things the way it's supposed to be done.  He will make an awesome hall monitor one day!

Camden enjoys playing sports and has played on soccer and t-ball teams.  Currently he is enrolled in gymnastics where he can get all of his endless energy out and bounce around.  He can practically do a back handspring which is astonishing to me.

There is a child in Camden's Kindergarten class who speaks only Spanish.  So each day Camden comes home speaking complete gibberish and tells me that he is speaking Spanish.  It's quite humorous.  There is also a new child in his class from Iraq and Camden tells me how this boy and his family came across the ocean on Columbus' boat.  I am always so intrigued at how children's minds process things in their environment.

On Halloween Audrey was very sick with croup and didn't want to go trick-or-treating.  Camden didn't want her to miss out and so he took her bucket with him and trick-or-treated for her.  It just warmed my heart to see him take care of his little sister like that!  In fact he cares so much about his sister that one time she was lamenting that she didn't have boy parts.  Camden was so quick with a solution and very cheerfully said to her, "Don't worry Audrey, you can ask for one for Christmas!"  That Santa truly is  magical!

Patrick is Camden's little buddy and Camden loves to take care of him.  They get along very well and it's a joy to see how Camden nurtures and cares for him.  The other night I was trying to get Patrick ready for bed and he only wanted Camden.  So Camden (with my help) changed Patrick's diaper, brushed his teeth, put his PJs on him, and lifted him into his crib.  Now whenever I am trying to do something to Patrick that he doesn't want, like take him to his room for a nap, he screams out, "I want Camden!"

I love having all my kids in my life.  Camden continues to surprise me with how smart he is and his great sense of humor.  He brings a great spirit into our home!


1 comment:

Frederick Family said...

He is so handsome. I can't believe how grown up he is.