Sunday, August 31, 2014

Spring Break: Hike in Sabino Canyon

Diamond Back Rattlesnake

Silly kids taking a break during our hike
Last March during spring break I took the kids to Sabino Canyon for a hike. It's about a 40 minute drive from home and we enjoy it up there.  It was hot and the kids had to stop every 2 minutes because they were SOOOO TIRED.  Camden needed to go potty, so we went off the path a little bit for some privacy when we encountered the rattlesnake!  We were quite a ways from it, but thanks to my zoom lens I was able to get a pretty cool picture of it.  We stayed far away.

We continued on our hike and finally hit a downhill stretch and then the kids decided they weren't sooo tired anymore and took off running.  Yay.  We found a little creek area that we climbed down to.  The kids love throwing rocks into water, and this was no exception.  However, I should have known better because of where we were that there could be scorpions under the rocks.  After a few minutes of fun Camden started freaking out that there had been a scorpion on his hand but he shook it off.  This is not first time of a scorpion claim by the kids, and I have never seen one in all the 5 years that we have lived here, so I thought I better go see what it was exactly that the kids think are scorpions.  Sure enough, there was a bark scorpion lying in the rocks.  We stopped picking up rocks and climbed back up to the main path.  We decided that the scorpion and rattlesnake sightings were enough for one day and headed back.

The desert is never dull.  It may be hot, but never dull!
Once the pathway went downhill they finally got going

Throwing rocks in the creek

Scorpion that crawled onto Camden's hand

Awwww, they do love each other