This past Monday we got a new car! We have joined the ranks of real parenthood and bought a minivan. My parents actually spotted it for us in St. George. After thinking about it for awhile, we agreed to buy it, sight unseen. So on Monday, my Dad and my brother, Brad, drove the van to us all the way from St. George. Thank you so much!!!
The van has power everything, which I am not used to. So, today, day 3 of my ownership of the van, I had a little adventure. I pulled into our driveway after running some errands. Camden was in the backseat. I had the diaper bag and my purse. I took the keys out of the ignition and dropped them in my purse. I decided to consolidate some things and put my purse inside the diaper bag, and moved the bag to the back by Camden so that when I went around I would only have to open one door to get Camden and the bags out. I hopped out, locked the door and closed it. I walked around to get Camden out, and you guessed it, I had locked him inside the van, with the keys inside. I checked every door about four times, and yes, they were all locked.
This is a new concept to me because for the last ten years I have had to lock each door manually, so I just didn't even think about what I had done at that time. Camden started to fuss a little. I ran in the house to get Aaron's set of keys, and I couldn't find them. I called him at work to ask where his keys were. He said that he dropped them in my purse the night before when we were at a church activity and were swapping out cars. So now I realize that both sets of keys are in my purse, locked in the car. That's when I panicked.
I called 911 and explained the situation. They said they would have a fire truck there shortly. As I waited I played peek-a-boo and So-Big with Camden through the window. He was doing okay for a few minutes and playing along, but then he really started to fuss. Then the fire truck pulled up and he instantly started screaming his head off. Remember, this is the 2nd time in 3 weeks that a fire truck has come to our rescue. I think Camden is a little traumatized by emergency vehicles for now.
The four firemen came to the car with all sorts of little slim-jim type things. They each took a window and went to town. Camden was screaming his head off and had tears just streaming down his face. After about 10 minutes of working at the locks, they finally got it. I pulled Camden out and he was just dripping with sweat. We are really lucky that it wasn't a warmer day, it was only about 65 degrees today. The firemen guessed that it was probably about 90 degrees in the car though. They said that if it had been any hotter outside, they would have just broken a window and not have even bothered trying to jimmy the locks.
One of the firemen asked if Camden would like to get inside of the truck. I brought him over and tried to climb inside, but he started crying so hard again. So, we didn't get in. The fireman just gave him a sticker instead. We thanked the fire department and they went on their way. After I got inside Aaron immediately took the keys, including the spare, and separated them so that it wouldn't happen again, then he went back to work.
I have wanted automatic locks for the longest time, but I learned a big lesson with them today! They are very tricky! I also will understand if all the other kids at school say they want to be a fireman when they grow up and Camden wants to be an accountant. Ha ha! I wish that I had gotten some pictures of the event, but it wasn't exactly the right time to ask everyone to pose for the camera. Oh well, it will have to live on in my head.
11 years ago
3 comments:
That has happened to me too! :)
you are having lots of adventures. Caleb and Charlotte (charlotte asleep )were locked inside my sister inlaws house for about 45minutes. Caleb didn't realize that closing the door would lock me out.
Hey Jules-
Don't feel bad, Aidan got locked in our apartment when he was about 2. It was in our student housing in Logan where the doors were always locked when you shut them. I tried to get him to unlock it but he just cried and then he laid down on the floor and fell asleep. It was good because I had to find the RA to unlock it for me. How embarrasing eh? Love ya,Melissa
Post a Comment