Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I've been tagged

20 years ago...
In 1988, I was nine years old. I spent most of my days running around with Miranda and Melissa Finch and Cherie Weatherston, and we were always coming up with schemes of how to be popular and hang out with Melissa Doggett. My boyfriend was Jadon Empey whom I married at least twice on the playground. I went to Falls Valley Elementary School and would have been in the fourth grade, I think. I loved to help my brother on his paper route and I was constantly starting new baby-sitter's clubs...I was obsessed with the books and was determined to make my own business work. I loved baby-sitting.


10 years ago...
June 1998, I was nineteen and living in an apartment on Stace Drive with Brittany Satterthwaite and Rachelle Ellis. I was working at Sizzler and just enjoying life. I was driving a 1994 Saturn which was the worst car that I have ever owned and I will never get a Saturn again! I was contemplating college but not quite there yet.

5 years ago...
In 2003, Aaron and I had just returned from living abroad in the Cayman Islands. We had just moved into the University Village married housing at The University of Utah. I had just been given a calling as Relief Society President... yikes! We were both unemployed students, desperately seeking jobs. I finally was able to get my old job back at Ruby River Steakhouse and soon after became a lead manager there. Aaron finally got a job as a bank teller at Bank One. We were studying very hard. I was attending Weber State University, and Aaron was attending the U. We had a great time there and made friends that we will never forget and will always miss. We loved living in the village, even though it was a cinder block apartment of only 500 square feet! We loved living by our families as well. At the time, Aaron's mom and younger brothers as well as sister were there in the area, and my sister and her family were in the area, so we were able to spend a lot of time with family. We really miss that. I miss Utah a lot, but Aaron does not.

3 years ago...
In June of 2005, Aaron and I were living in an apartment in Costa Mesa, Ca, right by Newport Beach. We made some awesome friends there as well. Aaron was working at his new grown up job after college, an accountant for Deloitte and Touche! He also began working on getting his CPA. I was working at a law firm, ever so briefly. We were seeing a fertility specialist to see if we could uncover the cause to my many miscarriages. (We never did). It was not long after this that our sister-in-law, Robin was diagnosed with leukemia and that became the catalyst for our moving to Reno later that year, so we could be closer to help out. Ironically she ended up in L.A. for a good portion of her time for her treatments. If only we'd known, maybe we would still be in Orange County! The summer of 2005 was very fun for some vacations. We went to Hawaii, Alaska, Idaho, northern California, and Europe. We worked out some marital bugs and became even closer. It was a good year for us.

1 year ago...
Last June I was a new mother. Camden was 5 months old and we were both finally sleeping through the night. My life was no longer mine and everything from January onwards really was about Camden. We were learning how to be parents; someone forgot to give us the instruction manual! Aaron was finally getting serious about his CPA and studying very hard for it. He passed his first section in August and the second section in December. (Now just two more to go). I had received a new calling as a relief society teacher, which was my favorite calling ever and I cried when I was released.

So far this year...
I was called as the Young Women's President in my ward and that has kept me very busy. I have driven from Texas to northern California in a moving van. I read the Twilight Series. I have been holding down the fort while Aaron works very hard and continues to study even harder to get that darn CPA. Camden starting walking and talking. He is a happier child than he once was, but still needs a lot of time and attention. I was in a car accident that totalled out my car and we got a mini-van to replace it. We lost another pregnancy earlier in the year. I have begun to make some really good friends here in the area.

Yesterday I...
stayed at home pretty much all day throwing up in the toilet. I was worthless and very sick. Gotta love the first trimester. Poor Camden got very neglected.

Today I...
was finally able to eat something and hold it down. Ironically it was a hamburger from Wendy's and a Pepsi, who would've thought? I was still nauseous all day though. We stayed inside practically the whole day due to the health department issuing a level 2 alert for the air quality and warning everyone to stay indoors with the windows closed and air conditioning running...darn fires! We lasted until about 3:00 when I couldn't handle being cooped up in the house anymore with Camden destroying everything, so we went into the backyard and played outside. I then went to Young Women's where we worked on the camp fundraiser.


Later tonight...
I ate some Taco Bell. I hoped that since Wendy's worked, maybe Taco Bell did too. I hope to keep it down and to sleep well.

Tomorrow...
I have a dentist appointment that I am not looking forward to. Hopefully the air will be cleaner so that we can go to the park or on a walk or something.

This year I hope to....
give the good news that Aaron has completed his CPA with passing scores (we're shooting for September now!) I hope to get out of the limbo that we've been in since we moved here. I hope to earn my Young Women's in Excellence award; now that I am in YW, I can work on it again! I hope to have a healthy pregnancy. I also hope that Aaron and I can spend some long awaited time together, and take some trips together. I hope to go to Pennsylvania to see Aaron's grandparents so that they can finally meet Camden. I also hope that Aaron's dad will be able to spend some time with Camden. Overall, I guess that I am hoping for some good quality family time with my hubby and the relatives. Here's to hoping!

That's it from me, now I tag Miranda, Danila, and Cherie

6 comments:

Natalie said...

This was a good tag Julie. I enjoyed reading your answers. I remember you, Miranda, Cherie from those days. Lisa Holm and I wanted to be in your "group" so bad with Melissa Doggett and Suzie Brunt. I think we made it in by 6th grade. Oh the memories.

Lara Zierke said...

Ah, Jadon Empey...I remember you telling me stories about that. You know I work with Josh Kunz and Mitch Moore? Funny stuff.

Also, your six week old fetus widget looks like a creepy alien baby. It's weird that that's in you! :)

JANEAL said...

This was fun to read!

Danila said...

Thanks for tagging me, I'm not sure if mine will be quite as interesting and it will definitely date me. But I really enjoyed reading yours. I really hope you have a wonderful year, and especially hope for a great pregnancy. Camden is so adorable, and we definitely need some more Groff's in our ward!

Johnson Family said...

Hey I saw your blog on Danila's congrats on the pregnancy I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Camden is so cute I can't believe how fast they grow up. Let's keep in touch!

Miranda said...

What a trip down memory lane. Oh the baby-sitters club! I love how exciting your life has been. You are the second one to challenge me, are you and Maria in on this together? Anyways I will end up doing it just probably 20 years from now. Hope your morning sickness goes away soon.