Thursday, August 21, 2008

It's a girl, nope it's a boy. Can you tell?


We had another ultrasound yesterday, this time with my regular OB. My specialist is finished with me for now, so now I am back to seeing Dr. Mellum, whom I love! I was one day shy of 14 weeks for this appointment. The nurse led us back to the exam rooms, only this time, she led us down the hall to the fancy ultrasound room.

My doctor has small, old u/s machines in all of his exam rooms, but this is the big, powerful one with the plasma TV screen, and it is usually only used for the 20 week appointment for measurements and stuff. It is also a 3-D machine.

I guess Dr. Mellum wanted to take an extra close look to make sure that things are still going well, so that's why I got the fancy u/s. I don't know, but I won't complain! Well, the baby actually only measured 13 weeds and 3 days, so my due date has been pushed back to February 22nd. I am still going to say it's the 19th until another u/s confirms that it is indeed later than that.

So, we asked, "Dr., can you tell the gender yet? We know it's really early, but see if you can try." So, he did. At first he said he was guessing it was a girl because he didn't see anything poking out of anywhere. Then, just as he was about to turn the machine off, he said, "Wait! I think I see a little something!" So he zoomed in and now his guess is that we are having a boy. That's another one that I won't feel very positive about until our next appointment in September.

So, the first picture is of the buttocks of the baby with a possible little something protruding out. Do you see it? I do, but I know the scanned image isn't as great as the real thing. Plus, I don't know that what the doc. & I are seeing are really what we think we are seeing, especially since the Dr. wasn't 100% about it.The second pic is one of the 3-D ones. It looks really weird this time. He printed it in black and white for us, but it was in color on screen. The baby looks really alien-ish because the picture is actually showing the brain rather than the outside features of the baby. That's why it looks so weird, but I think it's kind of cool that you can see the brain!

6 comments:

Miranda said...

Yeah I am so happy to hear your pregnancy is still progressing and everything is normal. I can't tell in your picture, but I have never been good a reading those. Congrats either way.

JANEAL said...

I'm glad to hear everything is going well with your pregnancy. It will be exciting to find out for sure what you are having.

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! I'm so glad things are going well with your pregnancy, that is so exciting! Can't wait to find out what you are having "for real".

sorichfamily said...

we have been checking in on your blog lately and i love it! it is great to see how you are doing and that you have such a sweet little boy and one on the way...congratulations! we are doing well and hope that you will check in on our blog too! good luck with all that is to come and i hope you are starting to feel better...because you look great! we miss you!

love, the sorich's

ps...we are expecting a new baby two weeks after you and had to do all that crazy fertility stuff too...what a life! but, the rewards are priceless!

Danila said...

I love those new 3D ultrasounds, when Jaidyn was born we didn't have those. We're so excited for you all and can't wait to meet the new baby Groff.

Lara Zierke said...

I can definitely see the baby's brain. As far as the male "area" goes...I think your doctor must be on PCP. I can't make out any of that. :) But three cheers for a healthy baby! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray!