Thursday, September 4, 2008

Doing the right thing, even when it's scary

Last night I had to make a late run to Smith's to buy some diapers. I walked up to the store and was looking at some of the merchandise they had out front when a couple who had just walked past me was now arguing in the parking lot. The girl was telling the guy, to let her go and stop grabbing her. Well, that got my attention, so I turned around and watched this for a minute. He kept yelling at her and grabbing her wrists saying that he's allowed to grab her hand if he wants to. She repeatedly said to let her go and that it's not okay, Then he got even rougher with her. He grabbed both of her wrists really hard and pulled her to him and starting shaking her and pushing her around, all while saying, it's okay to grab your hands, there's nothing wrong with that.

My heart started pounding really fast and I made a quick decision to get involved. So I was kind of chicken about it and stayed all the way back where I was and called out to the girl, asking her if she was okay. They ignored me at first, so I did it again. He let her go, and starting swearing up and down at me, telling me to mind my own business and that she was fine. I don't know where I got the nerve, but I yelled back at him that I wasn't asking him, and she didn't look fine to me. I kept trying to get her to answer me, but she just got into the car. The man kept swearing at me, telling me to turn around and get into the store. He started to make a step or two in my direction, and I wanted to bolt! But then another big burly man came out of Smith's, heading to his car, and started to see what was going on.

Knowing that I wasn't alone, I kept talking to the abusive man. I said to him, "Hey, I saw you put your hands on her, and she told you to stop." He said to me, "We're married, I can touch her like that." I was so livid, and I yelled at him that it wasn't okay. I was really scared and shaking at this point, and since the woman was now in the car (a silver VW) and I couldn't speak with her, I gave up and went into the store. I figured that I would just grab the first male employee that I saw and tell him what happened out there. There wasn't anyone. In fact, the first person I saw was Stephanie Thomas, one of my young women, who was working as a bagger that evening. I wasn't about to drag her into this, so I just let it go and got my diapers.

I wasn't in the store very long, and I was afraid that the bully of a husband was going to be outside waiting for me, or something. So, I called Aaron on the cell phone while I was inside the store and asked him to stay on the line with me while I walked to the car. As I walked across the little street between the store and the parking lot, I just saw headlights and a silver car coming extremely fast. My imagination got away from me for a second and I thought the guy was waiting for me and was trying to run me over! Luckily as the car got closer, and I was running, the car slowed down and it was a different car altogether, some sporty car trying to show off.

I was relieved, but I don't think I stopped shaking for a long time afterwards! I don't know how I should have handled that differently, but I think that I should have. I wish I would have pulled out my phone while I was still talking to the guy and called the police and told the man that I was calling the police. Part of me wanted to walk closer to where they were to get a license plate number, but I was too scared to get any closer. So, I don't know if I did any good, but at least he let go of her at that moment and channeled his anger at me so that she could break out of his grip.

9 comments:

JANEAL said...

I thinks it's good you said something to stop him. I would have been scared too. I think I would have just called the police or found some man to stop him.

Lara Zierke said...

That is very brave and I think you did exactly the right thing at exactly the right time. Abuse is often let go because people are uncomfortable and don't know what to do. By simply getting the message across that people see him doing that and don't think it's ok will really go a long way. I can't tell you how many psych studies have been done on that type of thing. That can be stronger than legal recourse. So don't feel like you didn't do enough. You are brave and have a good heart. Put that as one of your YW talents!

Natalie said...

I have such a passionate opinion about abuse. I am one of those that sais something and never really think about what might happen to me. I get soooooo mad when parents are screaming at their kids and I can't help but rescue them. I guess I feel that if I say something, then for that one moment I have made a child feel loved and a little more protected. I have had so many arguements at Walmart with people...but oh well.
You were brave!! Kuddos to you:)

Miranda said...

How freaking scary! I don't know what I would have done, I never think right in those situations! Hopefully you gave his wife a wake-up call, and I betcha she is really grateful! What did Aaron say? Glad you are o.k.

Leslie said...

Good for you! Those situations are always the most volatile so it's hard to know what is safely to be done. What's important is that you gave this woman a message that she does NOT have to take this and hopefully, when she is ready, she will remember your courage and get the heck out of there!! You go, Julie!

Carlie said...

Way tio go Julie! I'm sure that girl is glad and appreciative, just embarrased too. Some men can be such jerks and even bigger when they are called on it. I'm proud of you!

Danila said...

You go girl! I love that you spoke up, it's so frustrating when you see something like that and you want to help and it doesn't seem like the victim appreciates it much, but I guarantee she'll remember one day! You did the right thing.

Danila said...

By the way, I absolutely love the picture of Marley!!!

Hays Family said...

You are really gutsy Julie. We are always torn in a situation like that to not get involved and keep ourselves safe, or to interject and maybe get hurt ourselves. You were wise and yet brave. Good on you.