Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Ear infections, antibiotics and diaper rash

I am sure that every mom out there has gone through this, but this has been the worst case of it that we have had. This is Camden's third ear infection this year, and it is by far the worst. The ear infection was bad enough, but the doc. prescribed him Augmentin instead of Amoxocillin. I guess that was due to how bad the infection was.

Well as per usual, the antibiotic has wreaked havoc on Camden's digestive tract, giving him horrible diahrrea, and in turn, horrible diaper rash. This is the worst it has ever been, and quite frankly, I'd almost rather deal with the ear infection than 10 days of this antibiotic! He walks like he has a little stick up his bum, simply because it hurts him to walk. He hates to sit down, and he screams and screams when I change his diaper. On Monday it was so bad that I was even crying due to the pain he was in. When he noticed I was sad, he stopped crying and looked at me and said, "Mommy sad." I told him that yes I was sad because of how much he was hurting. He started to stroke my cheek and said, "Sorry mommy, sorry mommy, mommy happy." That made me want to cry even more. What a sweetie.

I've tried everything that is humanly possible to help with this. I put him on the BRAT diet, got some probiotics to restore the good flora to his gut; I have left his diaper off as much as possible and have stopped trying to use wipes to change his diaper. Instead I just put him in the tub and shower him off. It seems to be helping somewhat, but it's still pretty darn ugly. Poor thing. Thankfully my sister is a pediatric nurse and gave me some helpful tips, especially the probiotic thing which she says they always adminster in the hospital. Why don't doctors tell you about this stuff?

Do any of you other moms have any magic suggestions? I am open to ANY ideas.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Diaper rash are no fun. Best of luck with it. I Hope Aaron did well on his test.

sorichfamily said...

we get some really good ones here too! so sorry to hear about it...it is heartbreaking! we've had success with holding a lit up bare lightbulb up to her bum after a bath for about 5-10 minutes for a few nights in a row...something about the heat, but it works and dries everything out so well...seems weird, but it really works! good luck!! i hope everything clears up soon!

Melissa said...

Poor Camden! My little Reagan had diaper rash so bad recently that it was literally eating away the first layer of skin. Soo bad. I finally called the doctor and they called in a prescription "butt paste" It has worked wonders. So my advice is maybe to call his pediatrician and maybe they can do the same for you. Good luck!

Lara Zierke said...

I'm so glad Mom and Dad were with you for Thanksgiving. Sorry about Camden. His little "sorry Mommy" story tugged at my heart. Wish you were closer so I could be of more help.

EaGLeSToNs said...

My sister is a pharmacy tech and she gave me a tube of Calmoseptine for diaper rashes when Eli was born. I think you have to get it at a pharmacy but it works really well. Eli hardly ever gets diaper rashes, but when he does I just put a bit of the Calmoseptine on it and it's usually gone within a day. Hope Camden gets feeling better!

Carlie said...

When my kids get diaper rash, I put bag balm on it- I think you can get it at any pharmacy. It looks weird, smells funky, but it works wonders! (It's also good for adult with a bad case of chaffy butt, or even chapped lips) Good luck! What a sweet boy! I'd cry to if my boy said that to me- what a doll!