I can't believe that we have already been here for a month. It doesn't really feel like it when I still have so many boxes left that are still packed. We are hoping to buy a home really soon, so we figure that we will just keep those boxes packed. (Random note: I would post some pictures, but I think that my camera cords are in one of those boxes. One day I'll find them.)
So, housing is totally cheap here. We are looking at this awesome community called Rancho Sahuarita. You should check out the website at http://www.ranchosahuarita.com/. It's like having an amusement park in the middle of the community. There is a lake where you can sail, fish, or whatever, there is a waterpark, a gym, a kiddie train, baby-sitting, community events, and the list goes on and on. Guess what the price tag is for one of those homes? Under $200K. If we got lucky with a foreclosure, we'd be looking at around $165K. And the HOA dues? Only $63/month. How crazy is that?
So, why don't we do it? Well, I have a couple of reservations. One is that it is signifcantly farther out of town. It's about 20 minutes south of Tucson, so it would take Aaron a while to commute to work. Because of it being newer and far away, there isn't much there. In fact, they only just got a grocery store and gas station last December. But hey, at least they have the basics and then it's only 20 minutes into town for anything else, right?
My second reservation is the school system. It's not the greatest. I know that we don't have kids in school yet, but if we love it there and stay for more than a few years, we will have that issue. I did double check to see if there is a Charter school, and there is, so I guess we would have that option.
The last thing that bugs me is that while all of these awesome community amenities are incredible, and extremely affordable, should our kids think that growing up like that is normal? Is it normal to have an amusement park in your backyard, even if it's cheap? I don't want them to be spoiled. But on the flip side, it would really give me things to do with the kids and they would have so much fun. Not to mention, I would have so much fun.
We'll let you know what we decide as we plan to buy a house in the next couple of months. Check out that link above and tell me what you think of it.
11 years ago
4 comments:
Just do it. Heck, last year you were considering moving abroad. And your kids would grow up in Spain thinking it's normal to be surrounded by awesome architecture, mouth-watering panederias on every corner, and siesta every afternoon, and you never thought twice about that! :P If you end up moving in a few years, you can tempt your children away with the promise of grass in their own backyard!
I don't think you'd need to go to town with all that stuff! It looks like fun - almost a tourist attraction but it's in your backyard! Think of it as another amenity - I say if its a good deal you should go for it! Good Luck!
Honestly Julie I would advise against it. Here's why - here in Arizona in both Phoenix and in Tucson there have been these huge housing developments far from 'hub' being over-built. Many of them have the amenities you are describing - the community water park, etc. Del Webb has developed several of these. The main problem is that these communities, because they are inexpensive are often not actually a good place to live - particularly long term. They decrease in value rather than increase. They are not well maintained after a while. The foreclosure rates are so high, the values may continue to fall for at least another year. Ultimately you have over-crowded and under-funded school districts, higher crime rates, vandalism, etc. We saw friends move to one of these communities half way between Phoenix and Tucson - in that community everyone thought the bargains were unbelievable. At first it seemed nice enough and eventually there were enough people to have more than just one grocery store. But slowly and gradually things went down-hill from there. Over the course of the next year or so it started to look like Beirut. I am not kidding. That may not happen to the community you are looking at but I would say that buying closer to town or in a school district that has a good solid reputation is a much better bet. At this point inner Phoenix (the nice neighborhoods) and more urban tucson are probably done decreasing in value, but the suburbs and ex-burbs are definitely not there yet. I would really get to know your area a little better. It took Kirk and I quite a while to figure out where the best school districts were - once we figured that out it became much easier to determine where we wanted to live. School districts in Arizona are a huge deal - the homes in the good districts maintain their value MUCH better than any of the other areas. We bought the worse house in the best neighborhood we could afford and it has been the best financial decision in every way - but it has also been a great place to live. Commutes are a killer on family time (especially when the traffic is bad) and when the gas prices are up they are horrible financially too! We've seen a lot of people moving from the 'burbs in the last year because the gas and the time are just killing them. Just my 2 cents!
I saw the website for the community - it is so amazing! Honestly, as a Mom with 2 kids, (I'm talking about you : ) it seems like it'd be nice to always have something close to occupy your time and get out of the house with the kids. Live it up! As for the schools, is elementary school THAT important? Maybe I'm clueless, but it seems the kids that excel in elementary school are the kids that have parents that actively teach them what they need to know : ) Middle school and high school are a different story... Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about! I'm still distracted by the wild animal safari! What???!
Post a Comment