Tuesday, May 5, 2009

On leaving Reno

Reno turned out to be such a pivotal place in my life. Who would've thought? Aaron and I moved there to escape the high cost of living in So. Cal., and to be close to Robin and Jason to assist them when Robin was battling cancer. It was intended to be short term, around one year. Three and a half years later, we finally closed that chapter. I don't know when it occurred, but some time along the way the line blurred from being a temporary spot that was very drab, to a place of beauty that we called home with many dear friends whom I will love and miss forever.
Aaron and I have lived many places, but Reno is where we called home for the longest amount of time. We had some very poignant life events occur while we lived there. Here is a list of some of these great and tragic things:
1. Our first successful pregnancy and subsequently the birth of Camden
2. Moving into a house instead of an apartment!
3. Getting a dog
4. Miscarriage number four
5. Tragically losing Robin to Leukemia. What a loss, the angels are lucky to have her.
6. Meeting Dr. Whitten who helped us achieve our second successful pregnancy.
7. Young Women's President
8. Aaron achieving his CPA
9. Losing Aaron's grandpa in a tragic tractor accident.
10. The birth of Audrey Olivia
11. Aaron's layoff which ended our time in Reno.
I never thought I would love Reno, but I did. I loved my cute home that was too small, I loved my friends, I loved our ward, I loved the mountains, and I loved the mild winters. What makes Reno so special to us is all of the life events that took place while we lived there. Is it possible to have that many more occur again in any other location? I guess since life goes on, it probably is possible, so we'll see what Tucson brings our way. But for today, I am missing Reno.

6 comments:

jamirodana said...

Wow, you have done a lot in Reno.
I hope Tuscon brings tons of fun, warmth, and new friends:)
Good luck with the move!

Lara Zierke said...

Moving is hard. And sometimes you don't know how much you love a place until you leave it. The morning we left Moscow, we stood in our empty apartment, stared at the bare walls and we both just cried. A fond farewell to Reno and here's to Tucson.

Danila said...

I love your new heading picture! What an awesome picture! WE MISS YOU GUYS SOOOO MUCH!!! I am so glad that we were able to have the GROFF's in our ward and as our friends for 3 years. What an awesome family you are and the Ward sure misses you. Just like Reno, soon you will be saying the same about Tucson. There are some really great people and wards there as well, and just think you when we're freezing in 30 degree weather in December, you'll still be swimming in your pools! We love you guys

Jill said...

I miss Hershey too! I love living closer to family, but I miss our other family and the East is beautiful! I heard people love Arizona!

Jacob and Maggie said...

we hope all goes well now that your in tucson.

With love,

maggie and jacob

Lara Zierke said...

I think we are going to go with the Joci spelling for now. I figure she can change the spelling later if she wants. Maybe she'll insist on Jocelyn or a middle name, like you said.

If you turned on the captions to the slide show, you'd know. :) Yes, that's Heather holding her.