I have to apologize for not keeping this as updated as I should, so I wanted to take a moment to let everyone know how Camden is doing. I felt pretty dissatisfied with the fact that his Pediatrician didn't think he needed to see a specialist so I did a little research on my own. It turns out that there is a burn center in Phoenix, which is two hours away from us. This is a place that exclusively treats burns and has a team of burn specialists, plastic surgeons, and occupational therapists.
I emailed the pictures of Camden's hand to the burn center to see if they had something more to say about it. It was just a general email on their website and I wasn't very optimistic that anyone would even view it. However, within a couple of hours, the Director or head doctor of the burn center emailed me back asking me to get Camden there ASAP. He said that his burns were very, very deep 3rd degree burns that would not heal on their own and they needed to see him right away.
So on Tuesday we made the trek to Phoenix to get him checked out. We waited about two hours before we were seen, and then the doctors spent another two hours with him. They took X-rays to see if he finger was broken.... a thought that never had even occurred to me and spurring all of the bad mother feelings again. Luckily it wasn't broken. They cleaned it,and bandaged it and taught me some high tech bandage techniques. We also were finally given the special Silvadene cream that is just for burns.
Then an Occupational Therapist spent some time with us splinting Cam's finger to keep it straight, and he taught us how to do some exercises/physical therapy to help ensure that Camden keeps his mobility.
We are headed back to Phoenix today for more follow up, and that will likely be something that we do for several weeks. So for right now, the doctors want to see how he heals on his own. The main concern is the depth of the wound and the fact that it goes over joints. What this means is that the scar tissue that forms can cause his finger to curl and he would lose mobility in it. This is called contracture. A lot of doctors that we have spoken with have said that this is a likely possibility of happening, and if it does we will then need a hand or plastic surgeon to correct that problem. There may still be a possibility of needing a skin graft as well, but for right now they are just watching it.
In the meantime I change Camden's bandages twice daily, help him with his exercises, take him to the doctor every couple of days, and try to convince him that it is really cool and that it doesn't hurt. :)
11 years ago
10 comments:
So glad to hear from you, Julie. I just can't get over those pictures. I'm glad the Dr got back to you right away. What's up with the Pediatrician you saw? ...hmmm Now you are getting a taste of nursing school, welcome to my world...;) It's a lot of work to keep something like that up, so good job babe. Love ya and talk to you soon, ani
Oh my goodness, that looks so painful and I hope and pray that he comes out on top of things! This is not your fault at all Julie! Accidents happen and unfortunately, it's when kids are around most of the time! Hang in there and keep your chin up.
you are a great mom! i'm so sorry to hear about his little hand...but what a blessing that you are within driving distance of such a wonderful burn center! we will keep you in our prayers! and good luck with the healing...it sounds like you have such a positive attitude, and that goes a long way! love ya!
I can not believe you did not get silvadene cream the first day! That stuff is amazing. I am glad so far he doesn't need grafts or anything. We had to do lots of dressing changes, hand stretching, and cuddling too. I hope he heals well and your heart heals too!
I really hope Camden can heal quickly, what a tough thing for you all to go through. Hang in there, I'm so glad that you did your research and found someone who can really help him. Wish we could be there to help out.
I hope his hand heals quickly. He must be one tough little boy because that looks like it hurts like crazy! Hopefully he won't need skin graft.
Glad you are getting some good help and don't beat yourself up about it too much. Every parent has their moments . . .
Good job being a mama bear and making sure your little cub is taken care of.
Also, Happy Birthday to Aaron.
We are back in town today. Call us if you need a place to crash!
623-251-7767
Julie, I know how bad you must feel, but all of us are stupid parents from time to time. Camden will be fine, and you'll be that much more alert for the next boo boo. That's just the life of a parent. I'm surprised Isaac hasn't broken an arm under our watch yet. Everyone will forgive you, but it will be hardest for you to forgive you. Remember to pray to your Heavenly Father to know that you are forgiven (which I think you will receive quickly).
Post a Comment