We went to Phoenix again today to have another look at the questionable graft. Lou Ann, she's the head of OT & the only one who has given me any hope, made a point to be there today. She had a team waiting for us. This was one of the most traumatic times that Camden has ever had. He cried really hard for about an hour. They tell me that he has no feeling, but he screams "Owie" pretty darn loudly. He also kind of hyperventilates as he's crying and it is obvious that it is fear and anxiety. And who wouldn't when Lou Ann took scissors and cut away the top layer of skin to see what was going on underneath. Guess what? All of that black skin came off and underneath was some very good looking skin. So this means that the graft took.
I sent pictures into her yesterday because she had told me that if his finger started to turn any blacker than it was last Friday to make sure and bring him back right away rather than wait until this Friday when our scheduled appointment was. When we live so far away the "bring him back right away" thing gets a little old and difficult. So I opted to email her a picture and let her be the judge. She called me yesterday and asked me to bring Cam in today. So we did.
Apparently he was the talk of the Burn Center. Everyone saw the pictures. They compared the pictures to the ones they took right after the graft, as well as the ones I sent in of his original injury. No one could agree with what was going on. When Lou Ann cut everything away, she just said, "Did I call it, or what?!" She was very glad she was right and everyone else was having to eat crow. I for one am glad that she was right. Lou Ann is my new best friend.
Now Camden has to wear a compression glove. They gave him a temporary one today and when we go back next week he will get one that is custom fit just for him. I'm not sure how long he will wear this, but I read online that it can be for up to two years. This is to help make the scar tissue more functional. Pressurizing the scar tissue helps it to not raise up as much as it normally would and it has some other functions too that I don't fully understand, but hope to learn!
I want to give a big Thank You to everyone out there who has been praying and fasting for Camden. I know that it is only because of those prayers that his graft revascularized. Last Friday we were preparing for the worst and have been hitting our knees pretty hard. I remember being very specific in my prayers and asking the Lord to infuse healing underneath the dead and black parts and to cause the blood to flow. He did just that. Thanks to all of you and most importantly thanks to Heavenly Father!!
11 years ago
3 comments:
Yay! We're so grateful that the graft worked and that neither of you have to go through the surgery again. We've been thinking a lot about you guys and we hope that things continue to heal properly.
That is such good news. I'm crying now. What a great, great blessing. Prayers really are answered.
I am glad that everything is turning out to be okay :) Love you guys!
Post a Comment